9/19/08

Mother of the Year!

I will often steel this award from one or two of my good friends and today is that day. Yesterday Darby asked if I could eat lunch with her at school today (Friday). I told her it was not a good day because I was helping in Max's class and Dash would be at a babysitter and I can bring Dash to lunch so next Friday would be a better idea. She was very upset and didn't understand that if I was there why not just stay and eat with her. "Well, sweetie, I will be done with Max's class at 11:30 and your lunch is 12:45 and I don't want to take advantage of a babysitter with Dash so I will come next Friday." She settled down a little and it was time for bed. Brandon does the bedtime here so I was finished for the night. Everything went well in Max's class and Dash had a lovely day at the Mathew's. At 1:15 I got a call from the school letting me know that Darby was VERY upset and not eating because she was waiting for me because she just knew I would be there! The PRINCIPAL had to make a deal with her to get her to eat. I explained I was coming next Friday and apologized to all involved. I then called B very upset that our daughter has been soooooo emotional lately and what do you think is wrong with her? "Oh Sue, I am afraid this is my fault. When I tucked her in I told her of course mom will eat with you because she will be at the school anyway." CRAP! I even missed Darby's cues this morning when I asked her if she wanted a packed lunch or pizza day at school. She replied "pizza day! (wink wink)" Thank you for the cute wink but what ever! (I take lunch to her when we eat together and she didn't want to upset Max...wink wink). I ran to Wal-Mart and bought frosted cookies and napkins. Ran to the school to pass them out to her class as the bell was ringing to see if I could redeem myself in any one's eyes including my own. The cookies were a hit and her teacher said she was fine. I talked to Darby about it and she promised not to get so emotional next time (so the principal doesn't have to be called in) and with one last dagger to my heart ("I even prayed for you to know it was lunch time") she forgave me and our miscommunication! I proudly accept this Mother of the Year award and would like to thank everyone who made it possible! Thank you Wal-Mart for having cookies and self check out! Thank you to the teachers and secretaries for being so willing to call and help take care of my babies and most of all My dear husband, I wouldn't have been able to do this with out you! :)

4 comments:

Dane and Natalie said...

You totally are the mother of the year. I'm sure it won't be the last nomination either! For whatever it's worth, I think you're a great mom and the whole cookie thing was cute of you!

Hil said...

Holy drama, batman! The cookies were a brillant fix. :) wink-wink

Tiffany said...

Hailey did the same thing, and had to have lunch with the principal. The only difference was I had promised to have lunch with her and totally forgot!! It happens to the best of us.
love ya!!

Lisa M said...

Cute blog! I love the post and love your way of telling stories. That is the thing I could do for hours is just sit and hear you tell stories. You have a great skill in that.
Lisa